Skip to main content

Living In A New World

Welcome again to my blog! My name is Shawn Merchant and I hope you enjoy my final post of my blog series. Since the second post, I feel that I have been able to get close to reaching my final goals. I am now able to read nonfiction books with ease at a fast pace (about as fast as I finish fiction books) and have gained full control over this genre. These books are much less of a challenge to me now and are becoming more of a routine during reading sessions. My reading time is now consistently at an hour on most days and sometimes even more now. The frequency of my reading is very consistent and at a relatively quick pace. It has increased to about 135 pages in a day and I think that this is a sufficient to allow me to reach my goal of reading 15 books. I continue to make all attempts to challenge myself by going outside of the box and reading new genres such as autobiographies, science fiction, and a large amount of nonfiction books. I have heard a little bit more about dystopian fiction and am starting to explore new authors and books that I might be interested in. Fifteen books is still going to be quite a challenge to pull of by the end of the year, but I think I will be able to accomplish it by adding just a little bit more time to reading everyday. With this goal I am able to push myself even more as the clock ticks down, nearing the end of the school year.

In today's post, I will be talking about a new book I picked up called Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. This book is similar to other books such as Fahrenheit 451 by showing a futuristic image of society being brainwashed and controlled by rising systems and people. This book begins in a Hatchery building where eggs from ovaries are able to develop and hatch to create new human beings. With a new system called the Bokanovsky process, a multitude of eggs are able to hatch and be nurtured without the sexual activities of parents.

This novel continues by educating other students in this new world how the hatching process occurs and the different sites that contribute to process. The book makes a comparison of the baby production process to an assembly line to show how similar the idea is to Henry Ford's Model-T production. The director of the facility along with new characters such as Bernard and Lenina are presented later in the book and are key contributors to the message of the story. Lenina tells Bernard to join her in watching a wrestling match later, but Bernard is acting very differently around her. After the match, Lenina asks Bernard to do something that is condemned by the society. She shows her emotion and true feelings for Bernard when she says,"I want to know what passion is. I want to feel something strongly" (63). With this quote, Lenina freely expresses her feelings for Bernard by later asking him to have sex with her. This action creates suspense in Lenina's mind as she knows it is not the right thing to do, but she wants to do it so badly. Huxley uses this quote to create tension and creates the conflict of following along with society or going off astray. This quote symbolizes judgement and the idea of uniformity as people in this society think differently, but are forced under the same rules and regulations as everyone else. Huxley uses strong diction such as "passion" and involves the reader's senses through words of touch such as "feel". I am very fond of the way that Huxley phrases this sentence as it shows the feelings in people even within the brainwashed society. This quote portrays that everyone still has emotions and life within them even if they are forced not to think or be in a specific state or manner. This quote allowed me to reflect on my life as it shows how much freedom we have to think, feel, and see different things with the freedoms in our country and allows me to wonder how hard it would be living in Huxley's "new world". With this quote, I am now able to appreciate the freedoms that I have in life that other people may not have and gives me time to be thankful for the things I have.





Comments

  1. It seems like the world changed from better to worse. I wouldn't be able to make it if I couldn't show any expressions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Shawn's Reading

My name is Shawn Merchant and I am a sophomore at Hebron High School. I have many hobbies including singing, playing sports like tennis, basketball, table tennis, and soccer, writing poems, exercising, and (this one should be obvious) reading of course. I focus almost all of my day towards studies for school and normally don't have much time for myself, but I always try to find time to fit reading into my schedule.

 I personally enjoy reading books that have an underlying journey for the characters through the books and normally prefer to read young adult/dystopian fiction. This genre really appeals to me as it has many exciting plot twists with suspense, action, mystery, and a hint of romance. I believe that these qualities define this genre well and helps me have a better connection to other books that I may encounter. My goal for the amount of books I want to read this semester is 12. I try to gradually increase this goal every year and always strive to read more than i previou…

Wound Up In the Text

Hey it's Shawn Merchant and I am ready to update you on some progress that I have made since my last post. I am definitely starting to get a hold on the nonfiction books more and with a couple of them under my belt, I am starting to quicken the pace at which I read them. They are still a little bit of a challenge for me as I don't get through them as fast as I do fiction books, but I am starting to become more acquainted with the genre. I am fitting more time now (about 45 minutes to an hour) to read into my schedule and am doing even better than I was before. I am getting more pages read in a day than I normally would and am even reading a little bit faster on my fiction books now as I have been reading more frequently. To give you some numbers, I am reading about 125-130 pages in a day, which is a little more than I was reading before. I am going to increase my reading goal to fifteen books before school ends because I feel that I have to challenge myself sometimes to keep …